YND Podcast Episode 13: What Shots Do Your Dogs Need?
When it comes to vaccinating your dogs, too much of a good thing can be incredibly harmful. In this episode, Dr. Laurie Coger breaks down the basics of vaccinations, including the difference between core and lifestyle vaccines, how often to vaccinate, and how to know when your pet has built up the right level of immunity. She also shares a preview of The Healthy Dog Expo, an amazing event in Albany this March where pet parents can connect with holistic experts.
- A vaccine stimulates the immune system to recognize a germ or disease and respond to it with antibodies (3:17)
- There are core vaccines that every dog should receive, but others depend on where you live and what your dog’s lifestyle looks like (5:02)
- A titer can show the antibody levels your dog has (9:52)
- Vaccines contain ingredients that are toxic to dogs if given too often (11:45)
- Keep an eye out for adverse reactions after vaccinations (15:00)
- Most vets are doing the best they can with what they know (17:57)
- How to help detoxify after vaccinations (19:34)
- Attend The Healthy Dog Expo to find your tribe of like minded pet owners (21:41)
- How to learn more about holistic pet health (27:52)
- Join us at The Healthy Dog Expo on March 19-20.
- Have a question for Angela? Call (252) 377-4555 to submit it
- Enter the code RADIO at CBDdoghealth.com for 15% off your first order
- The Healthy Dog Workshop
- Canine Vaccination Protocol PDF
- Follow Dr. Laurie on Facebook and Instagram
- Follow Angela on Facebook and Instagram
About Angela Ardolino
Accordingly, she uses Full Spectrum Hemp Extract on all her pets at her rescue farm every day since 2016. Angela has five dogs. Odie a 12-year-old mini-schnauzer, Nina an 8-year-old Doberman. Jolene a 7-year-old mutt, Maza a 7-year-old mutt, and Rhemi an 8-year-old poodle. In addition, she has 4-10 more any time she is fostering or boarding. She is a member of the Society of Cannabis Clinicians and the Veterinary Cannabis Association. In fact, Angela has educated hundreds of medical doctors and veterinarians on the therapeutic uses of medical cannabis on animals.
About Dr. Laurie CogerDr. Coger is an integrative and functional medicine veterinarian, dog owner, trainer, and breeder. Her mission is to guide owners down the natural dog care path, helping them to become educated and empowered advocates for their best friend’s health. She is an honors graduate of Cornell University's College of Agriculture & Life Sciences, majoring in Animal Science, with a special interest and advanced training in nutrition. She received her DVM degree from Cornell's College of Veterinary Medicine. Her “real world” experiences in veterinary hospitals both large and small, housecall practice, and shelter medicine have broadened her skills and knowledge. One of her favorite job duties is as resident veterinarian for Canine Camp Getaway, the country’s ultimate dog lovers’ vacation. She is the founder of the Healthy Dog Expo, the nation's foremost dog natural dog health educational event. She also works with natural dog health companies in design and development of products and services.
Dr. Coger's practice and dog care philosophy emphasize natural methods. She regularly integrates chiropractic, low level laser, herbal, nutritional, and physical therapy techniques into her treatment plans. She is a staunch advocate of raw, natural diets. Her first book, "Vaccines Explained: The Wholistic Vet's Guide to Vaccinating Your Dog" is currently being updated. She is well known in the media, having been featured in USA Today, Pet360, PetMD, and numerous nationally known blogs and websites. She has been nominated for a Dog Writers’ Association of America award for her work in the Australian Shepherd Journal.